Upper Yough Release Calendar Information
- The 2016 first Upper Yough release will be Friday April 15 2016.
- The Upper Yough Saturday season begins on Saturday June 18 2016.
- The last Upper Yough release will be Friday October 14 2016.
- UY = Upper Yough release ( UY Releases - April, May, Sept, Oct: 10 AM -1 PM Trips meet at 11:00 AM)
- UY = Upper Yough release ( UY Releases June, July, & Aug: 11 AM - 2 PM Trips meet at 12:00 Noon)
- NBP = North Branch of the Potomac dam release are from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- SAV = Savage River dam releases are from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- CH N= Cheat Narrows beginner whitewater
- CH C = Cheat Canyon intermediate to Advanced whitewater
- To move from month to month press > to move ahead
- Give us a call we can't wait to take you on an awesome whitewater trip!
The standard release is 620 cfs plus the natural flow already in the river. Variable Flow release can be anywhere from 320 cfs to 600 cfs and can change by the minute.
The water reaches the put-in about 2 hours after the release starts during periods of low natural flow,( below 600 cfs; the water at the put-in begins to drop about 1 hour after the release ends. Don't linger on late afternoon runs: the paddle out is long and flat. The end of the bubble reaches Lost and Found -- the last major rapid -- about 3 hours after the release ends; it reaches the take-out in Friendsville about 1.5 hours later. Don't fall behind the bubble.
Scheduled releases occur from the next to last Friday in April to mid October.
Because the dam operators attempt to maintain the level of Deep Creek Lake within an upper and lower "operating rule band", unscheduled releases can occur after heavy rain and scheduled releases can be cancelled due to drought conditions. Call Deep Creek Hydro at 315-413-2823 for the latest release information.